Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Sunday, 30 May 2010

The Abandoned books!

I've been doing lots of reading this week and getting through some of those pesky books that have been building up on my shelf over the last year. I'm pretty brutal when I read a book and if it doesn't grab my interest in my first 30-60 minutes of reading it, I quit and move on. So this week I've abandoned a few...

Lost Souls/Drawing Blood/Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite
I'd heard great things about this author but I've now tried 4 of her books and don't like her writing style or plots. It's very dark, goth and she is more interested in name dropping alternative music bands into the story than making the characters very interesting! I won't be reading her books again. Didn't get past the third chapter in any of these books so I can't really do a proper review!

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan
I liked the Daniel Craig film and thought I would try the book. A group of men including our hero Joe try to stop a runaway balloon with a child inside it from taking off and one man is killed. Another man in the group instantly forms an attraction to Joe and is convinced that Joe feels the same way about him. This leads him to stalk and terrify Joe and his girlfriend. Well I prefer the film by a mile. I was bored rigid with this book very quickly as the author was one of these ones who swallows a dictionary and likes to show how many words he knows. It was so over descriptive that I was trying to work out what the hell his point was. A big let down.

Incendiary by Chris Cleave
Being married to a bomb disposal officer is stressful and a young woman finds solace in the arms of other men to distract her from the fear of what her husband is doing. One man becomes a repeat affair and while she is with him, her husband and son are murdered in a terrorist attack at a football stadium. The book takes the form of an open letter to Osama Bin Laden about how her life has been destroyed by his actions. It was an interesting idea that never quite seemed to work with a cast of dreadful characters that you felt no sympathy for, especially the so-called heroine.

No comments:

Post a Comment