Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Thursday, 1 July 2010

Book Review-Poison Study by Maria V Snyder

Yelena is about to be hung for murdering the man who tortured and raped her but the King's most trusted servant offers her the chance to live by becoming the new food taster. Valek teaches her everything about recognising poison but that is not the only danger she is in. The general whose son she killed wants her dead and is also plotting to be the next King, his guards have their own plans for her and a powerful witch tells her she must escape and have her own magic power trained or she will be executed by the witch herself. Then Yelena starts to develop feelings for Valek...
   This was totally different from what I expected, not your medieval dungeons and dragons type tale. It is a strong female lead with great supporting characters, lots of action and tension and an interesting plot. I love the character of Valek-cool and dangerous-just what you like in your fantasy heroes! Book two goes on to explore how she learns to deal with her magic which doesn't sound quite as interesting but I might read it at a later date.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone seems to really like this series but I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first book was certainly well written and kept me interested-different from what I was expecting. Not one for the permanent collection but well worth trying!

    ReplyDelete