Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Book Review-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling

Harry,Ron and Hermione start the quest to find the remaining horcruxes and destroy Voldemort forever. This is my favourite book in the series. The opening of Harry fleeing the Death Eaters as he leaves Privet Drive was very exciting if sad, and I liked the action of him fleeing the wedding, breaking into the Ministry of Magic, the theft at the bank and then the brilliant Battle of Hogwarts. Great stuff. Lots of action and a great ending to a brilliant series. It was everything I hoped for and more.

So the very good bits? Dobby...SOB! I was in floods of tears for the poor brave wee guy, it was heartbreaking. I wanted to personally jump into the book and kill that bitch Bellatrix, I can tell you that!!! I was cheering when Mrs Weasley did the job for me. I felt sure we had to lose one of the Weasleys in the battle and it wasn't a surprise to see it happen. I did love Percy yelling at the Minister for Magic-that was a nice comic touch in the battle. Moody's death reminded everyone that this was as dangerous as it gets but I was sad to see him die. Bringing in Dobby to save them at Malfoy Manor and Dumbledore's brother helping the rebellion were good bits that I didn't expect. I also enjoyed the redemption of Dudley.

The death of Snape was so damn sad when you hear his story of his love for Lily and his double agent life. Sniff! Now you can understand his hatred of James better and his desire to save Harry in first year, and his reasons for turning against Voldemort. I love the way his character was given such a good send off, and Neville's heroics were wonderful to watch as well. His character has been one of my favourites through the books and I enjoyed his moment as a hero.

BUT, my big complaint was the way you are just told that Remus is dead. I felt he deserved more than a throwaway mention before Harry goes to his own death. I'd have liked to have seen him die defending a student or something like that. He deserved a more heroic ending than that. I'd still love to know what happened to all the characters who survived the battle but that is splitting hairs a bit. Too perfect an ending? Well maybe but damn it, I think our heroes deserved a happy ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment