Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Book Review-Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling

My second favourite Harry Potter book!Harry is in a bad place as the darkest book so far begins,still grieving over the death of his beloved godfather Sirius,nursing his feelings of love and jealousy as he watches Ginny with Dean,and becomes obsessive about finding out what dark task Draco Malfoy is trying to perform.Could he be the one who is trying to kill Dumbledore?Hermione meanwhile deals with her own despair as Ron finds a girlfriend.Meanwhile Harry and Dumbledore begin to form a plan to take on Voldemort.

Some people didn't like the love stories in this book but I found it fascinating to watch the kids growing up and experiencing the raging hormones that we all had at that age. Oh I remember it so well!I can certainly relate to Hermione here! Ron and Lavender were amusing as was Hermione fending off Cormac and Harry pining jealously for Ginny. Ron with the love potion was really funny and I enjoyed the section when Harry uses Felix. These scenes were well captured in the film as well. I liked seeing the scared and vulnerable side to Draco and how his family have shaped what he has become. Dumbledore's death, although tragic, was wonderfully written, sad and shocking when you see Snape kill him. I was yelling 'NOOOO!' at the book! It was fun to see Hermione being jealous of the Half Blood Prince's book as well.

I don't think we needed as many of the flashbacks of Voldemort but it was interesting to discover where his hatred of Muggles came from and his dark family roots. Harry's Draco obsession was almost too much in this book and you were thinking 'yeah ok Harry, calm down'. There wasn't anything I disliked about the book really and it sets up a very exciting final book!

No comments:

Post a Comment