Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Thursday, 10 February 2011

Book Review-Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

This book was sent to me by a bookcrossing friend and my first though was 'oh no, not chicklit!' I decided to give it a try as she had sent it all the way from America for me and it would be rude not to give it a go. I read it all in one night and I was sobbing at the ending!

Paul is trying to get over the unexplained death of a patient, a dying relationship and a son who he barely connects with. He is going to Rodanthe to visit the patient's family before leaving the country to work with his son, to try and reconnect with him. Adrienne's husband left her for another woman and she has trouble coping, agreeing to look after the seaside inn in Rodanthe to give her friend a break. Paul is the only guest and the two get to know each other as a heavy storm hits the coast.

I liked both characters and wanted them to get together and find happiness. There is not much action but the gradually forming relationship caught my interest and the book seemed to fly by. It reminds me so much of the story in the Bridges of Madison County-while I didn't like that book, the film nearly broke my heart, and this book had a similar effect on me. I have since watched the film with Diane Lane and Richard Gere and I cried just as much at that!

A lot of people reviewing this book are saying that this is one of his poorer books. This is the first I've read and I enjoyed it a lot so it sounds like I should like the other books he writes even more, which is something to look forward to! The amazing thing for me is that I really don't like chicklit and romance so I was surprised and delighted to like this one. Even if you are not a big chicklit fan, why not give the book a try and you never know, you might like it like I did. More Sparks please!

No comments:

Post a Comment