Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Book Review-Beastly by Alex Flinn

Kyle is rich,arrogant and cruel, and despises people who are different or ugly. When a goth is critical of him he decides to invite her to the dance and publicly stand her up to humiliate her, but she is a witch and promptly turns him into a Beast. Failing to find a cure, his Dad abandons him to another house with just a maid and tutor where he ponders the only way to break the curse-a kiss from someone who loves him.

Kyle is the worst example of a teenage boy you can find and I completely despised him. So I had no sympathy for his plight and didn't really care if he changed back or not. It spoils the book for me when I really hate the so called hero so much. Even when he changes to a nicer person as Adrian, I still didn't really care.

The fathers in this book aren't any better. Kyle's dad fears for his own public image if people find out that his son is a Beast so he locks him away and never gets in touch. Then we have the man who breaks into Kyle's house, who is so desperate to avoid prison that he gives his daughter to our Beast as a prisoner. Really nice guys.

It's no real surprise to find Adrian and this girl falling in love despite him being a Beast as this is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast in the modern world. No real surprise at the identity of his faithful maid either. It was obvious from the start.

The one thing I did like was the online support group for strange afflictions. I'd like to have read more about this. I see that this is being made into a film now...looks a bit sugary sweet teen romancy for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment