Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Book Review-Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Well this is just the same old tired format for paranormal YA boarding school romps. I've seen the same story time and time again in books like Secret Lives,Evernight,Firespell, and it is just boring me.

1)misfit teen sent to boarding school
2)she doesn't want to be there
3)gets on wrong side of popular bitches on day one
4)instant crush on sexiest guy at school
5)her only friend is a fellow misfit
6)grim teachers
7)obnoxious students
8)murderer on the loose

The characters are either obnoxious muppets or cardboard cut-outs that have no depth or interest to them. The teachers don't seem to give a damn about discipline-explain to me why the werewolf who attacked Sophie on her first minute on campus got no punishment? Is attempted murder seen as acceptable at this school? The only one who was given a stern talking to was the guy who saved Sophie by using magic to protect her from the werewolf! Strange moral code from the head teacher don't you think? As usual in these books, the kids do what the hell they like with the teachers ignoring them, which defeats the whole purpose of the school in my opinion. These kids are sent to this school because they can't control their power so surely they should be watched closely!!! I hate stupid plots like this.

*sigh* I think it's time to give up on these cloned books and pick up a proper urban fantasy book with a decent story and characters that don't bug me to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment