Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Book Review-Shiver by Nikki Gemmel

This was a good read. Fin gets the chance of a lifetime to do a journalism project on a vessel going to Antarctica where she will experience the journey and frozen lands while interviewing the men who spend their life working in a lonely and isolated environment. She has to cope with the attitudes of sexism, sharing a room with other women on the trip that she doesn't know and trying to cope with her own range of emotions, especially when she gets involved in a forbidden love affair.
I was really surprised to like this book as it doesn't sound very exciting but it is very well written and the characters are interesting. Fin is a good, decent character and the story of her journey is as much about finding herself as finding the frozen wasteland that she will be visiting. The love affair in particular is handled well and you were really rooting for them and feel their pain when it is time for Fin to go home and leave the man she loves behind. I'm not going to put in any spoilers about the plot so you just need to read it for yourself! If you are looking for a great piece of human storytelling, then I urge you to give this book a try. I think you too might be surprised by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment