Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Book Review-Black Girl White Girl by Joyce Carol Oates

This was a dreadful book with appalling characters. Minette is the 'Black Girl' from the title, a preacher's daughter. She is the rudest, most obnoxious, spiteful bitch that you can imagine and goes out of her way to make everyone despise her. 'White Girl' is her room mate Genna, who tries to be her friend but is constantly rebuffed. Genna is a complete wimp of a doormat who lets Minette walk all over her and you get the impression that she is too scared to admit she hates her in case people think she is racist. I wanted to slap Genna for continuing to excuse her room mate to everyone else and covering up for her behaviour.

What was the point to this book? Minette obviously had a chip on her shoulder about life in general and faked racial attacks to paint herself as a victim. The real victims in this story were the other girls who fell under suspicion for the so-called racist attacks. And Genna's decision to lie to cover up for a girl who sneers at her friendship and looks down on her is just incomprehensible. Snitch on the bitch! I hated the two girls so much and the plot really infuriated me to a point where I celebrated her suicide.

One of the worst books I've read and I won't be going near this author again.

No comments:

Post a Comment