Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Book Review-Fear Itself by Jonathan Nasaw

I don't like crime novels but I did actually enjoy this one! A series of murders are taking place and the common link is that the victims all are phobics who are murdered using the methods that most frightens them. At first it looks like suicides but then the victims are all traced to a phobia conference that they all attended.

Investigating the case is Linda Abruzzi, an FBI agent trying to hide her own medical problems and semi-retired agent Pender who decides to break the rules to catch the killer. I liked both characters and the fact that they had their own personal problems to deal with. I liked the way Linda's medical problems hampered her ability to investigate and it was an excellent piece of plot where her own phobia was used against her by the killer.

Our killer was really well written. Yes he is a complete psycho who tortures and kills people inside his own home but the loving and devoted way that he looks after his Down Syndrome sister shows that even the most evil people have a good side to them somewhere. Isn't that the scariest thing about the monsters among us? We don't notice them because they appear to be as normal as us.

The book built the tension nicely, building up to the big confrontation at the end which I really enjoyed. I did not see the ending coming at all and I liked the way it finished. I do enjoy it when I can't predict how things will end. If someone like me who doesn't like crime novels enjoys this one, then it must be worth a read to those of you who like this genre!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. I haved added it to my(long)list of books I want to read.

    ReplyDelete