Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Friday, 2 September 2011

Book Review-First they killed my father by Loung Ung

This was a horrific story of the terror and violence that the Khmer Rouge inflicted on the innocent people of Cambodia. Loung is the daughter of a high ranking government official, and the very type of family that the Khmer Rouge despise. The family tree to flee, pretending to be poor farmers, but are eventually imprisoned in a camp. The camp hardships and fear take their toll on the family and things get worse when they are all gradually separated into different camps, not knowing if they will ever see each other again, all individually struggling for survival.

I'm not going to spoil the book by saying anything about what happens in the camps or what happens to the characters. This is a book that you must read and uncover the horrors for yourself and I highly recommend this one to those who like these true life stories. I can't even begin to imagine how I would have coped in this situation and I really hope I never have to. If you thought the story An Ordinary Man-the Hotel Rwanda story was shocking then this one will really horrify you.

No comments:

Post a Comment