Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Friday, 2 September 2011

Book Review-Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday

A man is asked to set up a salmon fishery in the Yemen despite him thinking that the project is a bit barmy and can never work. Cue funny scenarios, belly laughs and a lot of jolly hockey sticks good old English humour. Eh, no, actually. This was utter nonsense and as entertaining as the effects of a spicy curry on an inflamed and tender bottom.
The first thing that got on my nerves was the selfish, inflated ego Mary who needed a good slap to make her see that nobody cared about her and the world didn't revolve around her petty crap. I got tired of her weak and spineless husband singing her praises as if she was some kind of angel while she chose to ignore his problems at work. The satire fell pretty flat and it was as exciting and funny to me as watching Catherine Tate or Little Britain with 4 broken limbs and no way to reach the TV remote control. And I really don't have any interest in salmon except when it is on my plate to eat preferably in a nice sauce with a hint of a smoked flavour to it. Maybe with small roast potatoes and green beans. So overall it was not my favourite reading experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment