Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Thursday, 8 September 2011

Remembering 9/11

The older generation often ask the question 'Where were you when Kennedy was shot?' For my generation it will be 'Where were you on 9/11?' I remember it clearly. I had started a new job a couple of weeks before and after a particularly bad day, I was on the bus on my way home when my dad phoned me to ask if I'd seen the news. I hadn't. What I saw on TV when I got home was shocking. I'd always talked about going to New York and the first thing on my list would have been the WTC to get photographs of the view from the top. Sadly that would never happen. The more of these documentaries you watch, the worse it is. My grandfather was born in New Jersey but grew up in New York. Had he been alive, those scenes would have broken his heart as he loved the city. So ten years on, the horror is still fresh. Maybe I will get to visit the new tower some day instead and pay my respects to the dead. 
 Well the new healthy living regime has been going nearly a month now and I can really see the changes. I can actually go up a flight of stairs without wheezing like a set of bagpipes. The swollen feet are back to normal size. Back pain has reduced a bit. I can now go out shopping for longer before I have to find a seat to rest on. It might not sound much but it is really big news to me! I guess you could say I feel that I am starting to get my life back. Last night I went down to the coastal town of Ardrossan to walk on the seafront. It turned into a mad power walk as it was damn cold and we just got back to the car before the rain came pouring down! I could never have walked at that speed a month ago! So things are looking more positive.
   As you'll have noticed I'm currently reading the biography of the Reagan years in the White House and it is one of the most frightening books I've ever read. The warmongering, arms for hostages, funding lunatics in Central America, US involvement in Lebanon which killed many US servicemen, negotiating with terrorists...these events were shocking to read, especially the lies and cover-ups coming from the President and his cronies. There was also the Reagan attitude to the homeless, AIDS victims, people on low incomes, the unemployed, anti-apartheid demonstrators, all of which took me by surprise. Mind you, Britain wasn't much better on these topics under Thatcher, to be fair. The book is fascinating and scary and my coming review will have lots of details. At the moment the arms for hostages saga is about to go public. I am certainly enjoying this book. So now I might just fit in another few chapters this afternoon...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment