Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Saturday, 8 October 2011

Book Review-Embers by Laura Bickle

Anya works for the fire department in Detroit but she is also a Lantern-she has the ability to 'eat' troublesome ghosts and remove them from this world. Her talents are often called on by her friends in a ghost hunting group. But now Anya faces a paranormal firebug intent on raising a mythical creature to burn down the city, and has to deal with a demon starting to possess her. Being attracted to the firebug does not help matters...

I liked this book. Anya was a good character and her friends were all quite interesting. I loved Sparky, her salamander familiar with his dog-like antics and love of chewing electrical equipment. The plot was interesting, the demon 'Mimi' was quite funny at times-but there was just something missing for me to turn a good book into a great book.

I didn't really like the romance angle with the psycho firebug either. He was featuring a bit too much for my liking and I got annoyed with Anya's sympathies for the guy who was murdering people and wanted to sacrifice the city to a big bad beastie.

Would I read it again? I doubt it but I might look at the next book in the series if I get it in a trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment