Currently reading:

H.I.V.E by Mark Walden

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Count your books with me! Mwoarh!

Sunday, 9 October 2011

Book Review-The Good,The Bad and the Undead by Kim Harrison

Rachel is investigating the deaths of people who were taking classes with a college professor and finds herself reluctantly back at school as bait for the killer. One of the victims may be connected to her old nemesis, making her keener than ever to get him to prison. Her boyfriend is dabbling with demon summoning and has somehow become her familiar, and Ivy is constantly trying to bite her. It's not going to be a good time...

The book starts off so well with the very funny side story of Jenks and Rachel rescuing a kidnapped fish from a pack of werewolves. I love how useless Rachel can be in these adventures and Jenks is such a great character. I'd love to see more of this in the books. Sadly the book went downhill after that. We have the unconvincing fling with Rachel and Nick which has as much chemistry as macaroni and bile. Even the demon summoned seemed like a better potential boyfriend! At least he has some personality and humour about him-something lacking in most of the book.

But the worst thing for me was this stupid story with Ivy that dominated the book. I liked Ivy in book one but this stupid carry on with Rachel continually putting herself in front of Ivy's fangs with wrestling matches and stuff is just scraping the bottom of the plot barrel. If Ivy is so tempted and dangerous then Rachel should be moving out instead of staying there like a willing piece of meat. It's just too stupid. Every chapter seemed to have Ivy in another blood crisis ready to bite Rachel and it got boring very fast.

I had to force myself to plough through the book to the end and I really hope that things look up in book 3. If the rest of this series is dominated by Ivy trying to seduce and bite Rachel, then I won't be reading it much longer. 2.5 out of 5 for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment